Therapeutic Residential Care Workers
- Therapeutic Residential Care Workers
- Casual position
- Gippsland Region
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is the largest organisation of its kind in Australia. VACCA is an Aboriginal community-controlled organisation that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal community. Our strength lies with our people. Our team is committed to the organisation's vision and values; advocates for our children and other vulnerable community members; and shows respect for, observance and compliance with Aboriginal cultural protocols, practice and ceremony. Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from mainstream services and what enables us to deliver the positive outcomes we achieve for our people
About the role
The Aboriginal Residential Care Program is based on theories of trauma and attachment as well as recognising the ongoing intergenerational trauma, racism and other forms of cultural abuse that Aboriginal children and their families have suffered.
In this role you will operate as part of a therapeutic team which includes working co-operatively and openly with colleagues, a willingness to share information, being receptive to the ideas of others, and being emotionally robust and respectfully honest. The Residential Care Worker will engage with the children and young people to develop a nurturing, positive relationship and to assist each child to deal with their trauma-based responses to life in a way that promotes healing, emotional growth and development of positive attitudes and life skills.
- The successful candidate for this position will have a sound knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture and values and the ability to effectively communicate with Aboriginal children and their families.
- Successful applicants must have minimum qualification requirement, being: Cert IV Child, Youth & Family Intervention (or other relevant qualification)
Skills and Experience
Along with the items above, the successful candidate will have an ability to respond therapeutically to Aboriginal children's pain-based behaviours indicating an understanding of the impact of trauma and disrupted attachment on children.
How to apply
Applications deadline is midnight Thursday 20 January, 2020
For more information regarding your exciting future with VACCA, please contact Joshua Doble on (03) 9287 8892
For a copy of the position description and to apply for this position, click on this link www.vacca.recruitmenthub.com.au
Applications should include:
- A cover letter outlining why you are applying for this position
- A resume with your skills, experience and qualifications relevant to this role.
- Written responses to the key selection criteria
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply